Sunday, October 3, 2010

Maybe Every Cloud Does Have A Silver Lining

This weekend is the Semi Annual Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Saturday night they have a special session for all boys and men age 12 and up. I had planned on going with my dad and my oldest Son. As a 13 year old boy, spending 2 hours on a Saturday night at a church meeting was the LAST thing that he wanted to do. He argued with me for the 30 minutes it took him to get dressed telling me that this was HIS weekend and HE should be able to do whatever he wanted. I reminded him that I had let him spend the night at one of his friend's house just the night before. Then, he and I had spent the afternoon relaxing at his brother's football game. Of course THAT didn't matter to him. As we walked over to the church where we were going to watch the meeting I had to hear him telling me over and over how stupid it was and why he shouldn't have to go. We went in and sat down and the complaining continued. After another 10 minutes of this negative discourse, I had reached my limit. I got up and left without saying a word. Two hours later when he came home I was interested to hear what he would have to say. Lo and behold, he told me how much he enjoyed the meeting. He actually paid attention and got something out of it. I couldn't help but smile at this tender mercy.

Throughout her teenage years, my oldest has made some good friends, and some not so good friends. I think that is typical of most teenagers. She had one girl that she was friends with that started making some bad choices and was not that good of a friend or influence. She was not allowed to hang out with this girl and they had lost contact for a couple of years. Somehow they got in touch on Friday. She asked if it was ok to go hang out with her. Before I could say a word, she said "Dad, I won't get in trouble. If she starts doing something that makes me uncomfortable, I will leave right away. I have learned my lesson." I couldn't help but smile.

Last night she had made plans to go get an ice cream after work with a young man that we know. A girl that works with my daughter told her some bad things about this boy. Now, knowing this boy and his family, these things she had been told seemed hard to believe. So…. When he picked her up, she simply told him what she had been told and asked if these things were true. He assured her that those things were untrue. They went on and had an enjoyable evening.

I am so grateful for my children. I love them. We have our share of difficult times ( sometimes it seems like more than our share ) I will keep on looking for the good that they do, it gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment