Sunday, September 2, 2012

Taking responsibility - Live what you believe

I guess this post has been coming for a while.  For some reason today seemed like the right day to write it. 

I was raised in a pretty orthodox Mormon household.. At the age of 19 I volunteered to spend 2 years serving as a missionary for my church.   I got married in an LDS Temple, and have raised my children in my faith.  While I was married we had periods of time that for one reason or another we did not attend church regularly.   We always seemed to find our way back to the familiar surrounds of the church.   I still attend church with my family every Sunday as we take our place in the fifth row of our chapel.

Some days it is so hard to stay focused on the meeting and feel the Spirit of what is being spoken.   I constantly check my watch to see how much longer is left in the meeting.  I have to repeatedly tell my children to hush and not be loud as they are obviously bored as well.  

After our hour long worship service we separate off into our Sunday School classes. More often than not I slip out and don't attend.   Again, I find the instructors boring and non engaging.  Of course I make sure my children make it to their classes.   After Sunday School the men and women separate into their own classes with the young men meeting separately than the young women.  Most of the time I will stay for this meeting, but depending on the instructor I may slip out the back door. 

Today after I excused myself from my last meeting I couldn't help but ask myself what I was doing.  I believe in the doctrines of the Mormon faith, so that wasn't the problem. I came to the realization that I was often just being a Mormon by name only.  Just going through the motions.

I realized that I am responsible for my own actions.  I cannot control whether or not a teacher or speaker is boring.  It is entirely possible that I am hearing the same talk I have heard for 40 years.   The Gospel doesn't change.  Why should I always expect to hear something new and entertaining or earth shattering?   I go to church to worship God and to learn of his Son, Jesus Christ.  I can control what I am learning.  I have the scriptures containing his word.  I have information at my fingertips that I can study to gain knowledge and strengthen my testimony of what I believe. 

I have to start walking the walk... not just talking the talk.  I am doing a disservice to myself as well as my children by not teaching them about our God and his Son. 

This blog can be applied to anyone... not just about religion.  Do your actions match your words?  Do you live what you believe?

I am going to make a conscious effort to make sure that my actions and beliefs are aligned....

No comments:

Post a Comment