Monday, February 16, 2009

Daddys's Little Girl



Raising a teenage girl is hard enough, a single dad raising a teenage daughter is even harder. My heart is aching for my daughter Mackenzie. She is suffering the heartache of young love. Even though she is not allowed to "date" until she turns 16 in September, I have not forbidden her from having friends that are boys. She swore he was just her best friend, but Im not THAT naive.

Mackenzie's "friend's" parents treated her pretty inconsiderately over the past few days. I'm sure they saw nothing wrong with what they were doing, but even if they didn't want her to hang out with her son they could have come out and said so instead of lying and filling her with false hope.

Of course, Mackenzie is mad, sad, frustrated... you name it. I try to tell her that she is only 15 and there is so much more in life. She doesnt want to hear it when I tell her she doesnt need to have a boy that she "really likes".

Mackenzie is a beautiful girl, and gets plenty of attention from boys. She doesn't need to feel like they give her feeling of importance and worth.

Why can't they just say "little girls" a little bit longer?

2 comments:

  1. Hurray, you have a blog! Does that mean I can secretly stalk your family though blogging in addition to facebook? hahaha.

    In case I haven't told you yet Scott, you have a beautiful family. You are doing an AMAZING job as a single parent and I am sure your kids would agree. After reading your posts, it seems like you worry that you are not doing enough for your kids. But as a child raised in a single parent home, I can reassure you that even though they may not say it, your kids DO appreciate all the extra work you are doing for them. They can see how hard you are working and struggling to make their lives better. I watched my mom work long hours, come home tired yet still manage to come to all my games and performances. It meant the world to me and twenty years later I still remember how I would look for her in the stands before each game. Keep up the good work, you are doing GREAT!

    ReplyDelete